Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Janzi @ Zone 7

Without fail, hanging out with Luke leads to amazing times. He mentioned that he was heading to Bugolobi tonight to hear this band, Janzi, play. Not sure what to expect, but definitely down, I asked if I could join and by 8pm was riding down Old Bell Road to Zone 7. The place was packed with people sitting at wooden tables in a garden, listening to covers of everything from "Juicy, Juicy," a very popular song here in Kampala, to "Sorry." Yes. There is LOTS of Justin around. As well as Rihanna, Ne-Yo, Katy Perry, Taio Cruz, and Whitney Houston. Also, more than once, I've heard the theme from Titanic and Armageddon. It's always a surprise - like when you're shopping in the mall or eating pork skewers at a rugby game. But I guess it's never the wrong time to getya feel on.

Image result for janzi band
Janzi and Joseph, the sexy sax man
We met up with our friend, Keia, and several of her friends and all swooned over the saxophone player, Joseph. Having only heard Kenny G. really play a woodwind, this was a welcomed change of pace. After a few rounds of beer (round 1: Nile, round 2: Club, round 3: Club Twist, which I was a little embarrassed about ordering, but wouldn't you want to know what lemony beer tastes like?), costing a total... TOTAL... of UGX 9k, or $2.50, we settled into Zone 7's club area to watch the Arsenal v. Liverpool football (lol) game. There were SO many people there, all cheering and some dancing in front of the TV screens as they watched. Soccer is the best. From watching the South African opening game at the 2010 World Cup surrounded by vuvuzelas to watching Brazilian fans boosting Germans in the air on the crowded Copacabana beach after Germany's defeat of Argentina in the 2014 final to now sitting side-by-side with other Arsenal fans in Kampala as Fifty Cent blasts in the background - soccer makes community.

In the end, Liverpool scored a tying goal to match Arsenal's 3 points and the game was declared a draw. WHAT?! Is that allowed? As it turns out, it is and everyone headed out in a disappointed-but-not-devastated haze. I threw on my helmet, hopped on the back of the motorbike, and then Luke and I proceeded to hit every pothole on the way home. I'll have to rib him for that tomorrow, but for today, it's 2:30am and I'm headed to bed. Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment